Monday, September 05, 2005

My view of important things...

I have watched with great interest the different aspects of rescue and recovery of Hurricane Katrina. My heart breaks for the residents of those impacted. There have even been points where I had to turn off the TV because I just could not bare the enormity of human suffering. I have heard the reports of frustration that have been manifested in shootings and looting. I find those things predictable. Once the basic levels of human need is not available, the frustration is bound to set in. While I understand it, looting is still wrong.

I was encouraged today while watching a local news report to see that Jacksonville has responded in such a caring way to those in need. I am also hopeful that citizens of other cities and states are responding in similar ways. Some of those displaced from their homes have made their way to Jacksonville. Some will be in the hospital, others in temporary housing and still others will be enrolling in schools and universities. This is very encouraging.

One consistent theme I have heard is, "Why did God do this to us?" I prefer to think of other questions, "What is God trying to teach me in this?" or "How can God be praised?" None of us will never know God's overall plan. All we can do is to see where God is working and join those efforts. Through all the suffering, through all the devastation, there is one thing I know for sure. God is working in the lives of many. My hope is that many who don't know the saving grace of Jesus Christ will come to see how Christ is working in the lives of the rescuers, volunteers, military and those impacted and will want to secure an eternal life for themselves. If you are reading this and you don't know about eternal life, please email me. If you don't email me, please contact a minister in your area and ask about eternal life. I will be praying for you.


My plea: Please find a place to help. If you can't donate money, please donate your time. And pray for everyone impacted. God is listening.

steelrider2

No comments: