Tuesday, December 15, 2009

No bike is safe from thieves but....

If a thief wants wants my bike, he is going to have to work hard for it. I am trying to make it harder for thieves to get my bike if they should happen upon it when I am not around.
  • U shaped lock and Cable lock with combination
  • trying to find another bike to lock mine to for more locks
  • always park my bike next to one that is better looking
  • carry a pump so I can flatten one of the tires
  • locking front skewer and seat collar, thieves usually don't carry a metric allen wrench
  • disable it by taking the chain off the rear cog
  • put a note on it when I leave than I am watching it constantly and will shoot a thief-assuming most thieves can read.
  • loosen the nuts on the bars slightly so once a thief puts pressure on the bars, he/she will bust their tail falling down. Yes, I want to hurt a thief.
  • don't leave computers, lights, seat bags, GPS units or other easy to remove items that would temp thieves.
  • When I do have to lock it, put it in a place I can see frequently or check back on it often.
  • Never leave a bike locked up overnight. It screams "TAKE ME"
  • Carry a small club (mini baseball bat) in my backpack, so I can beat the crap out of a thief if I should happen upon them after they have successfully managed to get pass all of the above.

Thieves are cowards, if they knew they would get a ticket to jail, they might be less likely to steal a bike.

Think like a thief. Make it harder for thieves to be successful. Enjoy your ride and don't be a victim. Be vigilant and observant.

Steelrider2

No comments: