Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Chapter 2 rebuilding my first bike

The summer after finishing the second grade, I thought I had outgrown my 20” Skipper. However, Dad had a plan. Back to our favorite Schwinn shop we went looking for an upgrade. There were more catalogs and many more choices. Most of my friends had fallen for the rage of high handlebars and banana seats. Schwinn had introduced the Stingray. I was in awe. But Dad’s plan was a good one. He purchased a new seat and handlebars from the Schwinn shop and had the bike rebuilt one day while I was away with Mom. I couldn’t believe it; my wonderful Skipper was transformed into a cool machine like all the other kids had. It was like having a new bike.

For 2 more years I tooled around on my Skipper. I went every where. During school, I couldn’t wait to get home to ride. When summer came, I couldn’t wait to get up and ride. Whether it was with my friends or by myself, I just loved to ride.

During the first week of the 4th grade I had a major set back. One day after school, I disobeyed my Mom and rode off by myself with only a pair of shorts. I was riding down a street we called “The Dip.” It was a street that had a steep down hill only to have an immediate steep up hill. Somehow as I was riding down this street, I lost control and crashed. I broke my jaws in five places, cut a four inch gash in my chin and broke two teeth. I was a sight. Blood was everywhere. It took a long time before the neighbors could get my name and telephone number so they could call my parents.

I was in the hospital for two weeks. My jaws were wired shut for 9 weeks. Thankfully, I was young and wasn’t hurt worse. My parents were furious with me. They soon forgave me. Dad always had good advice. He made me get back on the bike as soon as the wires came out of my mouth. Even though the fear of the crash was in the back of my mind, I still loved riding my bike and rode almost every day, much more carefully.

1 comment:

Tim Jackson said...

Again, I feel your pain- both literally and figuratively.

On the morning of a family portrait that my mother had arranged, I took a 20-30' slide on my face and chest while jumping a home-made (poorly at that) ramp with my friends. She even warned me "don't get dirty or hurt your self"... I had to wear about 10 pounds of my mother's make up to hide the scabs that were forming. She still has that portrait and pulls it out to remind me now and again...

Masiguy- Tim Jackson