Sunday, August 21, 2005

One terrific guy...

My father-in-law's name was Joe Haynes. He died on November 4, 2004 of a severe brain turmor. Although we had a suspicion something was wrong, he was not diagnosed until early August, 2004. I can honestly say he was one of the finest men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

He was a terrific Christian. He worked in christian education his entire life. He modeled Godly behavior for all who knew him. Because of Joe, many churches around the world have a better understanding of how to reach their community for Jesus Christ.

He was a terrific husband. He provided well for his family. Although he travelled quite frequently, it made those times he was at home all the more sweet. Sometimes home life was a struggle. He not only never complained, he never even mentioned his struggles.

He was a terrific Dad. He and his wife managed to raise two beautiful daughters. One of them is my loving and caring wife. Both have become strong Christian women and Godly mothers.

He was a terrific Granddaddy. His four grandchildren adored him. He was funny yet compassionate. He paid attention to each of their individual needs. Most of all he listened as they talked. Then when he gave his advise they wanted to listen.

He was a terrific friend. He had many close friends. It's hard not to be friends with someone who cared more about his friends than himself.

He was a terrific father-in-law. This is where I provide the most insight. As I've mentioned above, he always cared more about me than himself. When visiting, he could tell if I had a bad day. Although I generally don't talk about those things, I felt genuinely comfortable sharing with him. He also seemed genuinely interested.

We shared the common ground of sports. He didn't know much about triathlon or cycling but he wanted to learn. He was there for me when I decided to get into the race management business. He was my greatest volunteer.

He was a terrific man. He always gave of himself and expected nothing in return. He was always ready to help anyone no matter their circumstances.

Just as every man has, Joe had weaknesses. But those weaknesses pale in comparison to his strengths. No only did he show his daughters how to live, he showed them how to die. He died with more dignigty than anyone I know. He never complained about his disease.

I loved my father-in-law and will miss him greatly. He was a terrific guy.

Tearfully,

Steelrider2




No comments: